New England Motorsports  

Go Back   New England Motorsports > NEMS Automotive Forums > Main Forum

Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
Prophecy
4th Time 10 Bolt Destroyer

Law On Unregistered Vehicles.

As alot of you people know i lost my License like 2 years ago, right after Don Built my new motor. My car has be unregistered since then just sitting in my driveway, recently my ASSHOLE neighbor called the police and complained about it. We got a certified letter in the mail stating that its against the law in Waltham, MA to have ANY unregistered vehicles... Is anyone familiar with this and is there any way around this, i just got my license back last month and i dont want to register my car until spring.
305 nittos, Moser 9", Built T56
PST Driveshaft, full suspension
D1SC Procharger, Meth inj,
return style fuel system
799rwhp/700rwtq
------------------------

2006 Trailblazer SS
3" drop, 22" replicas, HIDs, LEDs, custom emblems
Magnaflow Catback, HUGE custom stereo
Prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
wheels
B**PNY

Send a message via AIM to wheels
i always thayght you could have one unregistered car

found this on the web but dont know if it applies for waltham

"PARKING AND STORAGE OR CERTAIN VEHICLES- There shall be no more than one un-registered vehicle or trailer allowed on any residentially zoned property other than in completely enclosed buildings or a car port. This un-registered vehicle must be good condition and stored in the back or side yard. Good condition is defined as having fully inflated tires, all doors, including the hood and truck, intact, and no broken or missing windows. The vehicle must be capable of passing a motor vehicle inspection as determined by the Zoning Enforcement Officer after consultation with pertinent officials.
An unregistered vehicle which does not satisfy the "good condition" definition may be allowed on a residentially zoned property if the vehicle does not have any foreseeable adverse effects on the public health, safety and welfare and is fully covered with a tarp or fully enclosed with a six foot high stockade fence.
An unregistered vehicle may be allowed in the front yard of a residentially zoned property for the purpose of advertisement of sale for a period of thirty (30) days. This vehicle must be in Good Condition, as defined above, and owned by the owner of the property on which the car is displayed. In order to place an unregistered vehicle in the front yard of a residentially zoned lot the owner shall obtain a permit from the Zoning Enforcement Officer (ZEO). If no complaints are filed with the ZEO one additional thirty (30) day time period may be granted.
(Amended effective 10/15/90)"
Old 10-21-2010, 01:50 AM   #3
wheels
B**PNY

Send a message via AIM to wheels
from what ive seen also you have to call town/city hall and ask
each city and town are going to be diff. with their own regulations
Old 10-21-2010, 04:18 AM   #4
oldgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels View Post
from what ive seen also you have to call town/city hall and ask
each city and town are going to be diff. with their own regulations
Yep, town/city specific.
A person at my place of employment let their son store 2 cars in their yard, unregistered, outside.
I guess the neighbors didn't like the eyesore because the people came home to 2 $300 tickets hanging on the doorknob.
oldgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:37 AM   #5
Street ET

How about a car cover ?
Street ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:50 AM   #6
oldgregg

In Lowell it's this way.

The inspector cannot come in your yard unless they can see the vehicle from the street, even if they receive a complaint.
If the car is covered, they cannot look under it to see if there is a plate or not on it.

But then again, that's what their supposed to do & not do.

When your not home who's to say they aren't just walking in your yard & snooping anyway!
oldgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:36 AM   #7
fiveohalex

got a letter in springfield, ma about this same subject, i went on ebay and got a license plate from florida for 10 bucks, installed it and fuck them! it would have been a 100 dollar fine per day per offense, called the inpector and told him the car was registered in florida and the inpector called me to say he'll come by to inspect the car had a plate, a week later he closed the complaint and apologized, he did come by to double check the car had a plate cause a neighbor said a guy was standing at the end of my driveway with a digital camera.
fiveohalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
firebirdjosh
ヽ( ゚ヮ・)ノ

I parked a covered, unregistered car in the street for a year. The cops found out and just asked me to move it into my yard since it can't be on a public roadway. It was pretty cool.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
H3llphyre
Personal Martyr

Send a message via AIM to H3llphyre Send a message via Yahoo to H3llphyre
Invest in a car port (the cheap $200 ones). problem solved.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
MikeOD
BN

A 2002 SS is probably not in bad shape either...if it's got decent tires on it...in my case, my Caprice is parked in the driveway for the winter...but I like having insurance on it, so I keep it registered. I know you said you don't want to register it until spring, but when you weigh the options of a car port or something else...having insurance on the vehicle (protect it from fire, theft, a tree falling on it...) and thus a license plate and inspection sticker, will allow you to park the car right back in the exact same spot, and leave it there as long as you want to, for your neighbor to have to stare at...although those $200 car ports are pretty cheap...and they're a much larger eyesore for your neighbor to have to look at...plus you could buy some hideous color one like purple and green or something...almost seems worth doing both...but register it AFTER you put it in the car port, so said neighbor doesn't know you did, and complains again, and you get the satisfaction of opening the thing up and saying "it's got a valid registration and inspection, I just don't want to drive it right now".

Quote:
Originally Posted by no409 View Post
what are the shirts gonna say?? "friends let frends drive SBF auto notchbacks??"
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #11
trayack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohalex View Post
got a letter in springfield, ma about this same subject, i went on ebay and got a license plate from florida for 10 bucks, installed it and fuck them! it would have been a 100 dollar fine per day per offense, called the inpector and told him the car was registered in florida and the inpector called me to say he'll come by to inspect the car had a plate, a week later he closed the complaint and apologized, he did come by to double check the car had a plate cause a neighbor said a guy was standing at the end of my driveway with a digital camera.
Just as a heads up thats a MGL 90 sec. 23 Violation. Its a criminal offence and you can be summonsed to court. You cannot put a plate on a vehicle that it does not belong on (except when buying a car and transfering plates) even if its sitting on your property. I doubt anyone will ever call you on it, but you never know...someone might be having a bad day and you'll suffer as a result.

2013 Ford Raptor SCab, 801A Lux Package...
trayack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #12
StealthTT
You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry

Send a message via AIM to StealthTT
^^^^ yup. Also, out of state plates will raise red flags with the MA tax and insurance dime droppers in your hood.

Did you choose FL plates thinking that MA plates would automatically be checked by the local authorities? I imagine they can easily pull up all 50 states to check validity and expiration

If I had to store an unregistered car, I would just park the back of it right up next to the house so the plate area is covered. You guys are talkin complete cars, not parts cars? I laugh when people don't have the common sense to keep a cover and 4 wheels on such cars in view of neighbors hehe
StealthTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #13
H3llphyre
Personal Martyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayack View Post
Just as a heads up thats a MGL 90 sec. 23 Violation. Its a criminal offence and you can be summonsed to court. You cannot put a plate on a vehicle that it does not belong on (except when buying a car and transfering plates) even if its sitting on your property. I doubt anyone will ever call you on it, but you never know...someone might be having a bad day and you'll suffer as a result.
If you're doing things to purposely piss off your neighbors, after they already complained, it's probably not worth testing out if they will fuck you over for it.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
TheMechanic
Gun Control means using 2 hands !!

Send a message via AIM to TheMechanic
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3llphyre View Post
Invest in a car port (the cheap $200 ones). problem solved.
This is what a friend of mine did.
The towns sometimes have code laws that are more restrictive than the state laws.
TheMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
igotasweetride
Bestest Mod Eva

Send a message via AIM to igotasweetride
this is all such bullshit. if i want to stick 10 cars on my lot, i should be able to. its your property. i don't see how a law like this is constitutional
Old 10-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #16
H3llphyre
Personal Martyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
This is what a friend of mine did.
The towns sometimes have code laws that are more restrictive than the state laws.
I know lots of people who have done this, in shitty ass towns.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
H3llphyre
Personal Martyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotasweetride View Post
this is all such bullshit. if i want to stick 10 cars on my lot, i should be able to. its your property. i don't see how a law like this is constitutional
Few different factors... some of it is environmental, but MOST of it is property value.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #18
540Malibu
Club Dangle

Quote:
i doubt florida would extradite him, as they would have to be to ones to bring charges.
540Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #19
igotasweetride
Bestest Mod Eva

Quote:
Few different factors... some of it is environmental, but MOST of it is property value.
don't care. to fine someone for having a single vehicle on their own property can't be constitutional. imagine what our founders would do if they were alive and found out that the gov has the power to make you give them money, that will go into a general fund, if you don't give them money to have a vehicle reg that you're not driving. to me, that sounds like extortion
Old 10-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #20
H3llphyre
Personal Martyr

Quote:
don't care. to fine someone for having a single vehicle on their own property can't be constitutional. imagine what our founders would do if they were alive and found out that the gov has the power to make you give them money, that will go into a general fund, if you don't give them money to have a vehicle reg that you're not driving. to me, that sounds like extortion
Um, there is nothing in the constitution that says they can't do what they're doing. Have you ever read the constitution? LOL
Old 10-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #21
540Malibu
Club Dangle

open the hood a crack, prop it with a small stick with some string tied around it, and tie a piece of cheese to the other end of the string.... it is no longer an unregistered vehicle, but rather a home made mousetrap.
540Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #22
H3llphyre
Personal Martyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540Malibu View Post
open the hood a crack, prop it with a small stick with some string tied around it, and tie a piece of cheese to the other end of the string.... it is no longer an unregistered vehicle, but rather a home made mousetrap.
This!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #23
igotasweetride
Bestest Mod Eva

Quote:
Um, there is nothing in the constitution that says they can't do what they're doing. Have you ever read the constitution? LOL
fees and fines are taxes. they're forcing you to pay taxes and if you don't, they'll make you pay other taxes
Old 10-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #24
JS240SX

Send a message via AIM to JS240SX
Quote:
fees and fines are taxes. they're forcing you to pay taxes and if you don't, they'll make you pay other taxes
where do you come up with this stuff?

---------- '93 240sx ----------------------- '03 golf tdi----------
JS240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #25
Ibuildmyown
Have you been eating retard sandwiches?

Different from town to town like mine its if they cant see the rear of the car they cant come on your property to check for a plate if you cant see it from the road and noone complains your fine but the law does say only one unreg. car allowed. Hell at one point we had 65 derby and fiq8 cars in my friends backyard but you couldnt see them unless you walked down the driveway outback.

On a stupid note why not just register the car if you have your lic back or call the town and explain the situation to them and see what they say that would be the easy way to do it.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #26
fiveohalex

Quote:

trust me i'll be ok, but thanks for the heads up.
fiveohalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #27
igotasweetride
Bestest Mod Eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS240SX View Post
where do you come up with this stuff?
how am i wrong?
Old 10-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #28
H3llphyre
Personal Martyr

Quote:
Um... there is no law nor no mention in the constitution about the right of any governing body OTHER than the feds to tax you. It was actually known that taxes would exist on a lower level.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #29
suicidal racing
x275

dont piss of the nieghbors..theres a cop that lifes right next to me..i bought my stang roller and pushed it on the side of my house dead next to his yard line..he hasnt said 1 thing to me about it..i just now pushed it out of site from the road..the guy across the street has a car thats been sitting for 2 yrs and the cops not said shit..his is backed in though.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #30
Prophecy
4th Time 10 Bolt Destroyer

if i register the car I'm just going to drive it.... And he'll be even more pissed off... I leave for work at the crack of ass in the A.M. and with the size cam i have in this thing it wont even catch an Idle for 5 mins on cold mornings
305 nittos, Moser 9", Built T56
PST Driveshaft, full suspension
D1SC Procharger, Meth inj,
return style fuel system
799rwhp/700rwtq
------------------------

2006 Trailblazer SS
3" drop, 22" replicas, HIDs, LEDs, custom emblems
Magnaflow Catback, HUGE custom stereo
Prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote