Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fox Body Strut Tower/ Frame Rail Repair

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fox Body Strut Tower/ Frame Rail Repair

    Hey...

    My mustang has the typical rot at the bottom of the passenger strut tower on the frame rail. Does anyone know if they manufacture replacement pieces to repair this or do I just need to make some?

    (if no replacements, anyone have a parts car I can cut them out of?)

    Thanks

  • #2
    you can repair it but to do it "right" is cut a lip off and have one welded on ... i see alot of people just put metal over them and weld it but being a frame rail that might be in an accident im all set lol

    this is a local guy who did his ..

    http://forums.corral.net/forums/94-9...-friendly.html

    Comment


    • #3
      DMC Racing fixed mine. They cut out everything, welded tubes in, then welded it back up. Came out great. I bought a clean front clip for it and he didn't want to use it.
      1998 Chrome Yellow Cobra, 10500 original miles

      89 mustang gt, SBF Twin Turbo.

      Comment


      • #4
        This was recently released, don't know anyone that used it yet.

        http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...oth-Frame-Rail

        ~Jeff
        1986 Mercury Capri 5.0 T-Top 5spd / 1988 Ford Mustang GT / 1985 Ford Mustang GT Vert / 1983 Ford Mustang GLX Vert 3.8
        2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T (Daily Driver) / 2011 Kia Soul
        (Mrs DD)
        My Rides - Past and Present --- My FQuick Garage

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by capriman86 View Post
          This was recently released, don't know anyone that used it yet.

          http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...oth-Frame-Rail

          I just saw that...almost stopped my heart though when I read 260.00+ per side!

          Well, after some hunting the web, I got a game plan now. Thanks guys.

          Comment


          • #6
            what you planning on doing ?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gtmustang00 View Post
              DMC Racing fixed mine. They cut out everything, welded tubes in, then welded it back up. Came out great. I bought a clean front clip for it and he didn't want to use it.


              because it takes alot of time and i think a frame machine to line it up correctly ...me personally id rather a new front clip put on but luckily i will never love a foxbody that much or any mustang to repair rust like a strut tower lol

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mystic1199 View Post
                what you planning on doing ?
                ehh...easier to just post pics as I go then try and explain. They will be in my build thread in a week or two when I yank the 5.slow

                Comment


                • #9
                  awesome looking forward to the pics

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    i have fixed over 2 dozen cars that have had rotted frame rails and strut towers, dropped k members out boxed in the the new frame rail with new steel few hours worth of work when the motors out, easy as pie if you know what your doing.

                    i have also seen some that where so hacked they welded the strut tower to the k member just take good measurements if you dont have a frame machine

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      tim you kidding me welded to the k-member ? holy shit that has to be a good sight hahah snap a pic next time love to see that hahaha

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The only correct way is to replace the frame rail. That is a structural part of the car and just patching it doesn't duplicate the factory design. They use a specific amount of spot welds, a specific gauge of sheetmetal, etc all for a reason. A backyard hack that just slaps on a piece of sheetmetal will let the car pass the eye test, but not the safety test when the car gets in an accident. The rails are there to absorb and distribute collision energy in an impact. With a sheetmetal patch over a rot hole the rail is weakened and that sheetmetal is useless.

                        If you don't have access to Ford or ICAR tech info then you could also check out Motors or Mitchell crash guides and see if they list a sectioning procedures. If none of those sources list a sectioning procedures then the only correct way to do this repair is to replace the entire frame rail.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          its a fucking fox body, they weren't good in crash tests to start with. i doubt him patching that area is going to be the difference between life and death
                          PM me with any questions or issues. Thank you, Bryan

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by OG Killah View Post
                            The only correct way is to replace the frame rail. That is a structural part of the car and just patching it doesn't duplicate the factory design. They use a specific amount of spot welds, a specific gauge of sheetmetal, etc all for a reason. A backyard hack that just slaps on a piece of sheetmetal will let the car pass the eye test, but not the safety test when the car gets in an accident. The rails are there to absorb and distribute collision energy in an impact. With a sheetmetal patch over a rot hole the rail is weakened and that sheetmetal is useless.


                            If you don't have access to Ford or ICAR tech info then you could also check out Motors or Mitchell crash guides and see if they list a sectioning procedures. If none of those sources list a sectioning procedures then the only correct way to do this repair is to replace the entire frame rail.
                            Agree with this 100% even the repair done to that yellow one on the other thread some of those welds looked down right ugly.

                            Originally posted by igotasweetride View Post
                            its a fucking fox body, they weren't good in crash tests to start with. i doubt him patching that area is going to be the difference between life and death
                            You would be surprised how a unibody car works when in an accident and how just a few little changes can make a big difference. Like the wrong type of welds or to hot a weld.

                            Me personally i wouldnt have a problem driving a car that has been fixed like that but i wouldnt want my kid or girl driving it.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              http://newengland-motorsports.com/fo...ad.php?t=38900

                              The proper way to repair it
                              300 horsepowa...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X